Archive for April, 2019

Kimetto wins Chicago Marathon

Kenya’s Dennis Kimetto has won the Chicago Marathon in a course record of two hours and three minutes, out-duelling compatriot Emmanuel Mutai in the final kilometre.

上海性息

The two were neck-and-neck for much of the race before Kimetto pulled away in the closing stages to win the first major US marathon since the bombings at the Boston Marathon in April killed three people.

Kimetto’s 2:03:45 beat the course record of 2:04:38 set by Ethiopian Tsegaye Kebede last year and added the Chicago title to the Tokyo Marathon crown he won in February.

It marked the third straight year a course record was set in Chicago.

Kenyan Moses Mosop had clocked a record of 2:05:37 in 2011, but settled for eighth place on Sunday.

Mutai was second in 2:03:52 and two more Kenyans, Sammy Kitwara and Micah Kogo rounded out the top four, with American Dathan Ritzenhein fifth.

Kenya’s Rita Jeptoo won the women’s race in an official time of 2:19:57, erasing the memory of her one-second loss to Ethiopian Atsede Baysa here last year.

She was comfortably in front of compatriot Jemima Sumgong Jelegat, who finished in 2:20:48. Russian Maria Konovalova was third, ahead of Aliaksandra Duliba of Belarus and Baysa.

Jeptoo claimed her second major US title of 2013. She had already won in Boston when two bombs went off near the finish line, killing three and injuring some 200 people.

One suspect in the attack, Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed during a shootout with police, while his younger brother Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has pleaded not guilty to 30 charges, 17 of which are punishable by death.

Comments Off on Kimetto wins Chicago Marathon more...

Madeleine McCann case: UK police to launch Europe-wide appeal

A primetime British television programme will also present a fresh timeline of events surrounding the disappearance of the British girl from her family’s holiday apartment, just a few days before her fourth birthday.

上海性息

   

It will include a new 25-minute reconstruction as well as live interviews with Gerry and Kate McCann, who launched a global media campaign to find their daughter and still hold out hope she is alive.

   

Portuguese authorities closed their investigation in 2008, but London’s Metropolitan Police spent two years reviewing the evidence and opened their own probe in July this year.

   

Last week, the British force said analysis of mobile phone data from thousands of people who were in the south coast resort of Praia da Luz when Madeleine disappeared could provide a new lead.

   

The detectives have interviewed 442 people over the last couple of years and have identified 41 potential suspects — 15 of them British nationals — although no arrests have been made.

   

In the BBC’s “Crimewatch” programme on Monday night, e-fits of men seen in and around Praia da Luz at the time will be published in a bid to identify them and eliminate innocent sightings.

   

“Primarily what we sought to do from the beginning is try and draw everything back to zero,” said Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood, who is leading the probe, in a clip from the programme released to the media.

   

“Try and take everything back to the beginning and re-analyse and reassess everything, accepting nothing.”

   

He said detectives were focused on the time between 8:30 pm on May 3, 2007, when Kate and Gerry McCann left the apartment to dine at a nearby tapas restaurant with friends, to when Kate McCann found Madeleine was missing at 10:00pm.

   

“Our work to date has significantly changed the timeline and the accepted version of events that has been in the public domain to date,” Redwood added.

   

The appeal will be shown in Germany and the Netherlands after Monday’s broadcast in Britain.

   

Last week the McCanns said they were “greatly encouraged by new information coming to light” and said they hoped the appeal would take them closer to find Madeleine.

   

In another clip released from the forthcoming programme, the McCanns speak about how much they miss their daughter.

   

“When it’s a special occasion, when you should be your happiest and Madeleine’s not there, that’s when it really hits home,” said Gerry McCann.

   

“Obviously, Madeleine’s birthday goes without saying.”

   

Kate McCann added: “It’s when you have big family occasions really. That’s it, isn’t it? ‘Family occasion’ and you haven’t got your complete family.”

Comments Off on Madeleine McCann case: UK police to launch Europe-wide appeal more...

Jackman raises $A1.96m with birthday bash

Hugh Jackman has thrown himself a birthday party with 4500 guests, but they had to pay to attend.

上海性息

The actor spent his 45th birthday on Saturday at Hollywood’s Dolby Theatre, where he sang, danced and told stories for One Night Only, a benefit concert that raised $US1.85 million ($A1.96 million) for the Motion Picture & Television Fund.

“This is probably the most narcissistic way to spend your birthday,” he said after the show.

“I chose my favourite songs and told stories about my life.”

Backed by a 17-member orchestra, Jackman performed a variation of his recent Broadway show, with personal stories, a few film clips and selections from classic Hollywood musicals – including a tap-dancing routine during Singin’ in the Rain.

He talked about his family, sang a tribute to his wife and shared music and images of his native Australia.

“A lot of guys would say to their wife, ‘Do you mind if I go play golf with my buddies?’ That’s how I am about the show,” he said.

“I love it. If there’s a song I don’t like, I cut it and bring in a new song. Everything is something I want to do. So to be here tonight, supporting this cause – and it couldn’t have been a more generous crowd if it tried – in every way it was great.”

Jackman said he donated his birthday performance to the Motion Picture & Television Fund because it offers “that unconditional helping hand you get in a family”.

The organisation provides health care and other services to entertainment-industry workers and retirees.

Cybill Shepherd, Bryan Singer, Darren Criss and songwriter Carole Bayer Sager were among the famous faces in the industry-heavy audience for the two-and-a-half-hour show, which ended with Jackman auctioning off an electric Fiat, a pair of Wolverine claws and two sweaty undershirts he wore during the night’s performance.

The shirts went for $US11,000 each.

Comments Off on Jackman raises $A1.96m with birthday bash more...

Israel finds tunnel under Gaza border

The Israeli military has discovered an underground tunnel dug out from the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip into Israel.

上海性息

It says it believes militants intended to use the passageway to attack or kidnap Israelis.

In response, officials have frozen the transfer of all construction materials to the Palestinian territory.

A Hamas military spokesman in Gaza, Abu Obeida, was defiant over the discovery, saying on his official Twitter account “thousands” more tunnels would be dug out.

Hamas has dug tunnels into Israel in the past.

In 2006, Hamas-allied militants sneaked into Israel through one, kidnapped a soldier, Gilad Schalit, and held him hostage in Gaza for five years.

According to the Israeli military, the latest tunnel is 2.5 kilometres long and appears to have been recently excavated and in use until its discovery last week.

A tunnel opening was found near a kibbutz along the Israel-Gaza border, and the military speculated that Hamas may have been planning an attack on a kindergarten there.

The military said it waited a week to publicise the discovery because a search for explosives was underway.

The army said an elite engineering corps was sent into the tunnel but would not say whether explosives were found.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu praised the discovery and said Israel’s resolute policy toward the Gaza Strip, including last year’s military offensive, has led to the “quietest year in more than a decade” along the Israel-Gaza border.

Army spokesman Major Guy Inbar said the halt on all construction material to Gaza, announced on Sunday, was enacted due to security considerations and was not meant as a punishing measure.

Comments Off on Israel finds tunnel under Gaza border more...

Uruguay resigned to World Cup playoff

Only a crushing victory at the Centenario, in one of South America’s ‘clasicos’, coupled with a win for either Chile or Ecuador who meet in Santiago at the same time (00.

上海性息

30 a.m. British time), would secure qualification for next year’s finals.

For Uruguay, that seems unlikely as captain Diego Lugano admitted when he made clear that a playoff against Jordan was now their main objective.

“Although there are still chances of qualifying in fourth place, the big objective, to be realistic, is the clash with Jordan in the playoff,” Lugano said after Uruguay’s 1-0 defeat by Ecuador in Quito.

Even without Lionel Messi and Gonzalo Higuain, Argentina are clear favourites for another win, in one of the world’s oldest international rivalries, which would prevent Uruguay claiming an automatic place in Brazil.

“We have evidently once again taken the longest road to qualify, but the most important thing in all this is to be at the World Cup,” Lugano told El Pais, in an interview published on Sunday on the Uruguayan daily’s sports website (www.ocaciondigital.com.uy).

“Four years ago, we suffered in such a decider against Costa Rica and then had a great World Cup so all we want is to get to Brazil and it doesn’t matter in what position nor on which day.”

Qualifying via a playoff is a familiar route for Uruguay. They had to beat Costa Rica over two legs to reach the 2010 finals.

This time, with Argentina and Colombia already qualified, Ecuador, Chile and Uruguay are vying for the remaining two direct berths and November’s two-legged playoff against Asia’s Jordan.

Coach Oscar Tabarez admitted to having accepted Uruguay would need a playoff to reach Brazil.

“We’ve been putting information together because we recently saw that it was most probably we’d be going to Jordan,” Tabarez told a news conference on Sunday.

“There’s nothing impossible in football, but also there aren’t things which escape all logic.”

RISK OF BOOKINGS

Uruguay will be concerned not to pick up bookings against Argentina with 14 members of their squad on one yellow card and in danger of missing the playoff first leg if they collect another.

“Before thinking of cutting out a move that can leave you badly placed, if you’ve got a yellow card, you have to be more intelligent and let (your rival) go because we also have to think about November, about Jordan,” said striker Luis Suarez.

This group of players includes key players like striker Edinson Cavani, defender Maxi Pereira and midfielders Diego Perez, Cristian Rodriguez and Gaston Ramirez.

Argentina are expected to field the same second-string attack that led them to a 3-1 win over Peru in Buenos Aires on Friday with Ezequiel Lavezzi, who scored twice, and Rodrigo Palacio joining Sergio Aguero in the front line.

Messi and Higuain, who between them have scored 19 of Argentina’s 33 goals in 15 qualifiers, and midfielders Javier Mascherano and Fernando Gago were all ruled out of the final two qualifying rounds through injury.

(Additional reporting by Felipe Llambias in Montevideo; Editing by Ed Osmond)

Comments Off on Uruguay resigned to World Cup playoff more...

Copyright © 1996-2010 上海性息_爱上海419龙凤论坛. All rights reserved.
iDream theme by Templates Next | Powered by WordPress